Wednesday, April 11, 2012

WIP Wednesday: The chain stitch and I aren't speaking.

News flash: I am a perfectionist. Sometimes to  a fault. I would prefer to be awesome at everything the first time that I do it. 


Reality check: Not gonna happen. The chain stitch hates me.


I learned to embroider by reading online articles and watching videos by Wendi Gratz. I have make lots of cute things that I adore having in my studio and have even designed my own pattern. I support other stitchers by buying patterns and reading blogs...an embarrassing amount of blogs, frankly.


It occurred to me that the best way to do something is often the old school way. I mean old school...like stitch by candle light, working through a sampler old school. Granted, samplers were traditionally done by 6 year old girls way back when. The chain stitch probably loved them. (It senses my frustration, I think.)


I combined the old school with the new. Rather than being sat down by my granny, I downloaded a couple of guides to work from, one from Windflower and one from DMC. I plan on working my way completely through each guide. I whipped out an awesome vintage oval hoop from Sew Green, which is a local sewing store that is supplied by donations. It is a huge hoop and it was only $3.


I was trucking right along with some basic stitches: back stitch, whipped back stitch, split stitch, stem stitch, fly stitch, lazy daisy...and it was all going wonderfully, until I came to the chain stitch. It seems so simple. But it lies. It is an evil stitch bent on my destruction. I will show it...I am gong to pick it out and start again. Who's tough now? Anyone have any tips? Help a gal out here!


Progress to date (except the evil chain):
Going for the color spectrum theme.

Isn't that hoop awesome? LOVE it!

Marking out the lines.

Let's do this!

Sweet dreams sheep--DONE! It will have an excellent home.

The wall of cute in the sewing studio. Love the
patterns by Penguin and Fish and .Wild Olive
Still have the otter to stitch up :)

No comments:

Post a Comment