Monday, April 9, 2012

Metalwork Monday: Hammer Therapy

Sometimes, when you are having a rough time, it is difficult to recall why you like doing the things you do. Is it habit? Is it boredom? Or do they really still give us joy?


After the week I had been having, I doubted this morning that I would be be very productive. Heavy thoughts are still troubling me and focus has been tough to come by, but I took a couple of days off specifically to make things. So today, I put the pigtails back in and went into the jewelry studio. I had been avoiding it, primarily because since the turn of the year, business has been slow dead.  I had been spending many hours, designing and creating, but to what end? No one was buying.


I committed to posting a new metal working project every Monday, so I had to at least make one piece. But I also had a bunch of pieces that I had etched last week that needed to be made into something. Hmmm...I had to chose between the disappointment of not selling my work and the thrill of designing something totally new. Granted, if I made something truly stellar, I might sell it. Hmmm...


In the end, being creative won. I was able to make multiple pieces and I am very happy with them. I will list them in my shop later. Plus I have several more pieces to put together tomorrow. Additionally I worked on 5 other blog projects and will begin work on my sampler tonight. As a very wise man once said, hard work is its own reward.














4 comments:

  1. Looking good! Way to persevere through difficult times-I know how hard that is. The etched pieces turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a lot o respect for metalwork! These are beautiful pieces:)
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  3. the seventh and eighth photos are particularly snazzy!

    ReplyDelete