Tuesday, August 14, 2012

How Tuesday: Upcycled T-Shirt Tote Bag

Everybody loves an event with swag. At least most of the time...too much swag just becomes clutter or things that we never use.

I could and would never wear half of the t-shirts that I get at races. What I would use is more reusable shopping bags. Problem solved: turn on into the other!



After choosing your shirts, lay them out on you work surface.


Cut off the sleeves, preserving the side seams.


Use a template to shape the opening around the neck.
Cut around template. I used a bowl.


Mark the bottom where you are going to sew the short shut.
I also decided the angle some side seams so the bag would be 
wider on the bottom. The angle sides serve as a psuedo-gusset.


Sew along your markings. I did two hems around each
side for added stability.


I filled one with running gear...


...and used the other for some groceries.

You can keep the memories with these great shirts,
but use them more frequently and usefully!

No comments:

Post a Comment