Monday, August 27, 2012

Metalwork Monday: Cider Vinegar and Sea Salt Patina


At the very heart of my crafty universe is metalwork. I am always
trying to learn new techniques and love to experiment. 
Giving metal new colors and textures is one of my favorite things.
I brewed up a batch of patina solution with items from pantry and 
absolutely love they look that they produced.




I started with some pieces of coo\pper, bronze, and brass, a bottle of apple cider vinegar and a container of sea salt.


I mixed three parts vinegar and 1 part sea salt. I embossed or formed each piece.


Sprauing on the solution wasn't really working for me because of my spray bottle.
Instead, I poured it into a baking dish and buried my pieces.


After a couple of dips and a dry, my embossed copper pieces came out beautifully!


This is a copper banner and brass wing dried but not yet brushed off.


Love them!


I next put a hole in each, dapped them to form the curve, 
and gave them a quick sand with my sanding block.


Lastly, I did a double-ended wrapped  loop with some 34 gauge copper wire and two crystals. I thought that they green would really highlight the patina.


The finished product, a vintage look that will be perfect for the fall 
without the use of caustic materials.

No comments:

Post a Comment