Saturday, August 11, 2012

Stitchy Saturday: Embroidered Pendant

Summer is giving us subtle cues. Days are getting shorter, veggies are piling up on every flat surface in our kitchen, nights are getting crisper, and I am prepping for the fall play. 

With cooler days ahead, I find myself thinking of new outfits for autumn, new accessories to make in the studio and new embroidery projects to unwind with a cup of tea before bed.

Inspiration struck in a fun way--I got a great shadow box pendant as a gift and I bought some beautiful patterns from So September (visit her blog...her work is AMAZING). Perfect. I decided to combine the two to create a fabulous necklace for fall.


I am in love with this necklace. For real.


I started with a 1 1/2 shadow box pendant. 
The well behind the glass is fairly deep, 
which proved to be a hug benefit.


Using the circle template made this SO much easier.
I simply traced the size that I needed on muslin.
I wanted the piece to look finished with a tiny
rustic touch. Hence...muslin.


I utilized a portion of Corrine's gorgeous pattern
and chose some colors that would transition nicely
into the autumn.




I cut around the circle with my pinking shears 
and cut a circle a teensy bit smaller than the shadow box 
from foam core.I stretched the embroidery around the 
foam core and tacked it with hot glue. 


I tacked the entire piece into the shadow box
with a drop of hot glue.


Ready to accessorize me all through the
autumn...so happy when my worlds collide!

No comments:

Post a Comment