Monday, October 1, 2012

When life gives you lemons...


You know how the old saying goes. We all do. We have heard it a million times. As we transform those lemons, we sometimes still get a sour bit. It isn't horrible and it won't kill us, but it is not what we wanted or expected.

Yesterday, I was supposed to run a half-marathon, my second. Recently though, I had gotten off my training schedule and wasn't logging the miles that I should have been. I was immersed in rehearsals, a late summer mini-vacation, a new attitude towards my work day, being a good partner, and various other little projects. My blogging suffered but my IT band suffered more. 

In a last ditch effort to prepare for the race, I started amping up the miles last week. In doing so, I tweaked a recurring running injury. I underwent  2 1/2 months of PT earlier this year and almost lost the entire running season. By Thursday, the band was swollen and I knew that I had to make a big decision. I wasn't so upset about the money, I could still cancel the hotel room and I had registered for the race in February, so I wasn't missing the cash. I had, however; invested a lot and time and energy into training only to fail at the follow-through when it was most important.

I was disappointed in myself. In my heart though, I knew that if I tried that I might not be able to finish and that would be even more difficult thank not starting at all. 

So when the starting gun went of on Sunday morning, I was home. I spent the day making soups and baking. I drank lots of tea and sang along to my ipod. It wasn't what I had planned on doing, but in its own way it was just as rewarding and just as comforting. Instead of lemonade, I used those lemons in my tea. As the week goes on, I will be posting about tea and tea-related things. It soothes my soul and that is EXACTLY what I need right now.

2 comments:

  1. when that IT band throws you, get back up on it and ride!

    ReplyDelete
  2. when that IT band throws you, get back up on it and ride!

    ReplyDelete