Thursday, October 11, 2012

Thankful Thursday: Mason Jar Cozy Tutorial


Everyone who knows me and/or reads this blog regularly knows my fondness for mason jars. I don't go out of my way to find wacky uses for them, but I do use them in the kitchen (naturally), the bathroom, the sewing room, and the studio. My favorite way to use them though is their most traditional: storing food. I can in them, of course, but I also freeze in them, store soups, and pack lunch. I remove the lid/ring and heat up my lunch right in the jar in the microwave at work. Biggest downfall? One hot jar! I decided to take combine two recent projects, my seat belt cover and mug cozy, to create one stylish mason jar cozy!






 For this project, I used some fun plaid fabric, fuzzy low-pile fleece, and coordinating velcro. Both wide mouth and standard jars have the same diameter-about 10 inches. I added an extra 2 inches for overlap and seam allowance.  I decided that I wanted to add a little decorative fold-over in my design, so I added an extra inch (plus seam allowance) to the width--about 5.5-6 inches.


I cut both pieces of fabric to the same dimensions. I pinned the right sides together and stitched around the long sides and one short side. After turning the piece right-side out, I stitched the other short end shut.


I folded over the edge and stitched it down. I added top stitching around the entire piece to keep it flat and more finished.

I sewed the velco in about 1 1/2 inches from one side and 1/2 inch from the other edge. 


Great for lunch, hot from the zapper! It would also be great for a pint of ice cream :)

1 comment:

  1. Great craft idea! In the first step, I think you mean circumference and not diameter though. Diameter is across the circle, circumference is around the circle.

    ReplyDelete