It has been a time of illness here...and everyone else it seems. There is nothing so soothing as a nice hot cup of tea. Last year, a friend introduced me to what has become my absolute favorite beverage, honey ginger lemon tea. Just the ritual of making it begins to heal me.
The ingredients are simple and few: honey, a slice of lemon, a good quality tea (I really prefer Earl Grey for this recipe) and some ginger. If you are even luckier, you will have some ginger syrup on hand. I was given some as a holiday gift from The Cozy Herbivore herself and feel in love. The tea is even more of a delight with it added.
The Cozy Herbivore's Ginger Syrup:
- A good sized knob of ginger
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- Cut the ginger into pieces, no need to peel
- Add that and the brown sugar to the water and bring to a boil
- Strain and store in an airtight container in the fridge
To make the tea:
- Place two teaspoons of honey and a good glurg of ginger syrup (or several chunks of ginger) into your favorite mug.
- Squeeze the juice of one lemon wedge into the mug. Put the wedge into the cup.
- Add hot water and stir.
- Lastly, add a tea bag or tea ball into the mug and steep until the tea is the strength you prefer--3 to 5 minutes.