Tea is part of my daily life, but sometimes, I want to make it a little more special. I may break out some leaves and brew it the old-fashioned way, sometimes what makes it extra-special is the treat that I have along with it. While my British friends tell me that these are not traditional but they sure are tasty!
- 3 1/3 c. sifted flour
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2/3 c. shortening
- 2 c. sugar
- 4 eggs, well beaten
- 1 1/3 c. milk
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. cloves
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Sift 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon cloves, and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg into the flour mixture;set aside.
- Cream sugar and shortening until fluffy; add eggs.
- Add flour mixture and milk alternately, in small amounts at a time, add vanilla.
- Fill greased cupcake pans 2/3 full.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 to 18 minutes.
Makes 2 dozen. I like to dust them with a combo of powdered sugar and cinnamon.