Anyone who knows their Doctor Who knows that custard was almost a main character in the Series 6 premiere. I thought that I would try to make it from scratch just to up the ante for the Series 7 premiere on Saturday. I added some homemade Ginger Syrup on a few berries for a real treat!
- 25g or 1 oz caster sugar (Caster sugar can be tricky to find in the US, so I blitzed some regular granulated sugar in the food processor until it was finer.)
- 300ml or 10 fl oz of boiling milk
- 3 drops of vanilla extract
- 2 large egg yolks
- Beat the egg yolks
- In a large bowl place the sugar, vanilla essence and the beaten egg yolks and mix together.
- Now pour in the boiling milk, whisking as you pour.
- Put the custard into a saucepan and, over a LOW heat, stir until the right constituency is obtained. Test by putting a wooden spoon in the mixture - it should cover the back of the spoon when the spoon is lifted out. DO NOT let the mixture boil or you will end up with sweet scrambled eggs.
- Remove from the heat and either serve immediately or allow to cool. Once cooled it should be covered and kept in the fridge for 2 days. Do not reheat once chilled.
Unadorned and beautiful!