Thursday, May 3, 2012

Thankful Thursday: DIY Leather Thimbles

I get great joy out of creating things. It makes me want to get up in the morning, knowing that by the time that I go to bed, I will have made something. Many say that beauty takes pain though. I agree. I don't mean botox or shoes that pinch. I mean bashed fingers, broken nails, and sore finger tips. Anyone who has done a TON of French knots for an embroidery piece knows what I am talking about. Thimbles are fine, but they can be unwieldy and frankly, for those of us with small hands they are often too big.

Craftsanity to the rescue! The spring issue had a great pattern for leather thimbles which could be sized to fit specifically, so I knew that I had to give it a whirl.


I cut pieces of soft leather (I recycled mine from an old
backpack), 2 pieces of felt, and 2 accent pieces (one fabric, one ribbon)
to approximately 2 1/4 inches long.

I stitched the thee pieces together. I wasn't worried about
a little overhang since I know that I would be trimming.

I wound it around, trimmed, and stitched by hand. Not
my prettiest job, but I can live with it.

Ready to take on those knots now!!



No comments:

Post a Comment