I had a challenging time with this first project. Initially, I was just going to connect separate pieces of metal with jump rings but that can be insecure. Then, I was going to re-purpose one of the straps of an old leather backpack. Nope-too thick for the snap or rivets. Okay, then I will try some thinner faux leather. The snap went on fine, but the rivets ripped right out. I had already done a cuff with pieces riveted to it, but thought that if I swapped the materials and did a few different techniques than the lace cuff that it would be okay. I have to say that I am pretty pleased.
|The embossing die that I used on several smallish pieces of aluminum.|
|I cut a six-inch long strip of 20 gauge copper.|
|After rounding the corners and sanding the edges, I decided|
to texture the entire piece with my chasing hammer.
This was the longest, most tiring part of the process.
|I applied a thin layer of liver of sulfur patina gel to it|
(after hammering) with a flux brush.
|I am super-pleased with the base.|
|I added the aluminum bird plaques with rivets.|
I used a combo of silver and copper.
|I added four--two of each type to the center plaque and|
then alternated in both color and layout.
|I like the combination of both substantial and dainty.|