Friday, May 4, 2012

Foodie Friday: Lemon Lavender Rice Pudding

Spring is an incredibly busy time of the year for may of us. Gardens to prep, cleaning to do, and in my case; plays to produce. I admit that I don't cook much during play season, I simply am not home often enough. But writing this blog has pushed me to create one really special recipe each week to share with you.


When I decided that flowers would be the theme of this week, I knew that my options were...let's say, limited. Sure, I could do an edible flowers salad or lavender shortbread. Luckily, my good friend Alyssa pointed toward this recipe by Adventures in Cooking. It is truly delicious blog and I am really pleased to feature one of their creations today.



Yum! So tasty, not overly floral and with a great lemony kick!

Ingredients:

2 Cups Whole Milk
1/2 Cup Water
1/4 Cup White Rice
1/4 Cup Sugar
1 Egg Yolk
1 Tablespoon Finely Grated Lemon Zest
1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
3/4 Teaspoon Dried Lavender
1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1/2 Teaspoon Largely Grated Lemon Zest


Place 1/2 teaspoon of the dried lavender in a piece of muslin or cheesecloth and tie with butcher's twine. Heat the milk, rice, sugar, water and bag of lavender in a medium sized pot until it begins to boil. Reduce heat and allow the mixture to simmer for 30 minutes, stirring every 5-10 minutes to prevent burning. Remove the lavender bag and allow the mixture to simmer for another 30 minutes, still stirring every 5-10 minutes.

Remove the pot from heat and stir in the vanilla extract, lemon juice and finely
grated lemon zest. In a small bowl, beat the egg yolk at high speed until slightly bubbly on top, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Scoop 1 tablespoon of the rice pudding into the egg yolk, stirring constantly. Continue to add rice pudding to the egg yolk mixture until 5 tablespoons have been incorporated. Now pour the egg yolk mixture back into the rice pudding pot and stir until completely blended. Scoop the rice pudding into 4 individual serving bowls and garnish with the remaining lavender and the largely grated lemon zest. Serve warm or chilled.

Eva Kosmas of Adventures in Cooking creates such wonderful recipes.
The recipe and directions are completely hers. I just followed them, took photos,
and thoroughly enjoyed the results. Big thanks to Eva!!

No comments:

Post a Comment