Sunday, June 2, 2013

Sunday Funday: DIY Terrariums & Rock Gardens


In this time of diminished employment (I did not get the job, btw); I have been doing a lot of gardening. I have put in many hours in my herb and veggie gardens, at our plot at the Community Garden, and at my favorite guy's place. My house itself was feeling a little neglected. We unearthed some moss and I was recently gifted a miniature boxwood. You know what that means?! Rock gardens and terrariums. 



I started with several different glass containers, gravel, moss, rocks, two types of soil and plants from my garden, gifts, and a few cuties picked up at our local hardware megamart.


First off, I washed out all containers and loaded them with a base level of gravel for drainage. 
I then covered that with a layer of soil. For the rock garden, I used soil specifically for cacti and succulents. The larger jar got regular potting soil. I made holes in the soil to place the plants.


I placed each plant in the holes created for it. 
I also placed some of the moss that we dug up around the plants.


The larger, more traditional jar got plants from our garden and the boxwood.
After everything was planted, I gave it a quick drink and covered the soil with sphagnum moss.
Finally, I layered polished river rocks on the sphagnum.


I love how these turned out! I added some extra decoration, like the Buddha and brought them in the house.
Since the glass will magnify the sun, I put them indirect sunlight. The will only need occasional watering and should last for years. I will need to remove any dead plants (or parts of plants) and occasionally prune to keep the healthy, but that is fun too.

Happy planting!

No comments:

Post a Comment